Friday, October 9, 2009

Park City Girl's Online Quilt Festival




I am participating in the Fall 2009 Quilt bloggers online quilt festival!  This is EXCITING!!  My quilt was made a few years back in a 9 mo. long class at one of our wonderful LQS'. This was back in my 'formative' years of quilting and the sample of this quilt hanging in the shop amazed and FRIGHTENED me especially when my compadre asked me to take the class with her.  YIKES, NO!!   But I relented and SO glad I did.  I learned SO MUCH with the making of this quilt.  That eagle and ALL OF HIS LITTLE FEATHERS are appliqued and I was NOT an appliquer.  But, like I said, I learned tons on this quilt and now am an
applique nut (not that I'm good, I just love it!!).


We worked on a corner or center segment each month then went home with LOTS of homework.  I did OK for the first couple of months then quickly fell behind.  They languished in a box inbetween classes and THEN, when we were getting ready to move out of state, I decided to get my rear in gear and get er done!  I finished and left it in the capable hands of my wonderful longarmer.  She did a GREAT job!



The little hands are those of my son and granddaughter and took the place of a block I did NOT want to do.  Glad I did the little hands cause they're MUCH bigger now!







I thought the little bear and bunny with the watermelon were SO cute.  Like I said previously, I was NOT an appliquer but learned lots when working on the applique in this quilt.

35 comments:

LyndaG said...

Love your quilt - and the hands.. I will tuck that away for the right moment. Thanks.

Aunt Spicy said...

Ditto, the hands are my favorite! What a beautiful quilt! I love this little festival, it is so fun to meet new quilters!

Zonnah said...

It is beautiful!

Carol said...

Lots of lovely blocks to look at. Well done.

kwiltmakr said...

That is so nice that you replaced a block with the hands. What a nice job you did on the quilt. Glad you finsihed it.

crossroadsquilts said...

I love the hands! What a wonderful idea. You did a very nice job on the quilt. Aren't you glad you finished it?

Bari

JoAnne said...

This is a great quilt! Of course I love it since it's patriotic. Awesome job, my friend.

Sara said...

Nice quilt and you did a lot of work on it...

Stephanie (A Ditchin' Time Quilts) said...

Sherrill, this is fabulous. It is amazing, love the colors, love the squares. Love the hands too! Thanks for sharing this.

sallgood said...

What a lot of work! Good job sticking to it, and now you have something to treasure!

Anne said...

Your applique is fantastic! Love the variety of blocks!

Vivian said...

This quilt obviously holds a lot of memories for you, from your early quilting days.
When I was a new quilter, I thought I had to follow patterns exactly. Swapping one block for another sometimes is just the thing we need to make a quilt totally ours. What could be better than a little one's hands. Congrat's on a work of art!

Cara said...

How great that you have a quilt with so many wonderful memories. The hands are such a great touch, did you do fusible or needle turn for them?
You've given me an idea for my mom for Christmas/her birthday

Lynn E said...

this a great piece. Changing the to the hands make it very personal.

Rhondi said...

Your quilt is beautiful. I love the eagle in the center and the colors are great too!

wackywoman said...

Gorgeous quilt.

Sarah said...

This quilt has wonderful color and lots of interest in the squares. I love your idea of including the hands. Thanks for sharing this piece of art! ~ Sarah

Ariane said...

I love it. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Bed Linen said...

It's lovely. And the little anecdotes add a personal touch.

Rene' said...

The hands are a great idea. Kudos to you for stepping out of your comfort zone to learn new techniques. Thanks for sharing.

Granny Lyn said...

I'm so glad you decided to "get your rear in gear" and finish this, it is wonderful, and I love the personal touches you put in, too!

Apple Avenue Quilts said...

Wonderful quilt. What a nice patriotic design.

Kathy said...

It's a very nice sampler quilt. I bet you are glad that you finished it. I love the country style colors.

paula, the quilter said...

Sampler quilts are great for learning different techniques, aren't they? This one is nice.

Jean said...

Very pretty...it is fun to learn new techniques, isn't it?

Quiltluver said...

I love this quilt. The colors are beautiful. Love the hand block.

Jeannette said...

If this is your learning piece...wow what a curve you are on and how lovely can it get! Keep at it. Thank you for sharing.

BUMBLE BEANS said...

I love samplers!! what fun!!

Happy Cottage Quilter said...

Lovely quilt. Lots of interest.


Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Serena said...

Wow you did a truly awesome job with what appears to be a very difficult pattern.

Erin said...

Very impressive! Thanks for sharing your quilt in the Festival. =)

ParisMaddy said...

Spectacular array of blocks. It's really pretty.

MARIKA said...

I like it the quilt very nice.
Marika

Catherine said...

A beautiful quilt. Looks like a lot of work but very worth it.Not sure which is my favourite block, I like them all.

Casey said...

What an unusual quilt. It's beautiful.