Sunday, November 7, 2010

class with David Taylor

I took the "Pictorial Applique" class with David and it was fun.  I believe he said this was only his second class to teach in Houston and I think he did just fine.  I do, however, really like Karen Buckley's method of applique better as David uses freezer paper and 'paints' the edges with starch the turns over and irons.  I find the freezer paper (one layer) is not really stable enough and you can get pointy curves and not as precisely turned edges.

This was the project I worked on.  There were two choices--the hummingbird or a penguin.  I, like most others in the class working on the hummingbird, only got like 4 or 5 pieces appliqued on.  I wasn't real crazy about David's method of applique..using the ladder stitch.  I've tried it in the past and didn't like the results so I just used my usual method.  It works good for me.  He recommends 50 wt. 2 ply and Karen recommends 60 wt.  I really like the 60 wt. but bought some of the brand that David recommends to try out. 
This is his adorable goat (forget the goat's name) but the quilting was AMAZING!!  It was really funny to hear how he works and selects all his fabrics and starches/irons all the pieces.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Wow! The hummingbird is awesome!! It is so nice to be able to try a new technique, even if you don't like it. That's how we get to know what we do like!!
The goat is fantastic!!