Saturday, March 5, 2011

There's a BIG red & white quilt exhibit in New York City at the end of the month.  Much as I'd love to go, I most likely won't make it (the cost of airfare at present is one BIG reason!!).  So,  for those of us not going, there's an online show and the more, the merrier.  So I pulled my one and only red and white off the ole quilt ladder and took a picture.

I made this quilt AGES ago, long before I really knew how to quilt.  I hadn't a CLUE what I was doing, just saw a picture in a magazine (if I remember correctly) and proceeded to follow the instructions.  I cut all those out with SCISSORS and didn't even use the 'connecting corner' method.  I sewed triangle to triangle to make all those geese!  YIKES, I probably wouldn't have started it if I'd known what I was getting into!!  But she got finished and quilted (no idea WHEN as I didn't put a label on it) and, when washed, ran red in places.  But I still love it!!  If you want to see lots of other red & white quilts all in one place (and not even have to go to NY to see them), check here for the show.  And if YOU have a red & white quilt, add yours so others can enjoy.

8 comments:

Betty Lou said...

First quilt have a special place in our hearts. I think yours is great, I can't imagine cutting with scissors. Actually my first, was the old Quilt in a Day method and we tore all our strips. What a mess strings everywhere, that was before rotary cutters.

Kathie said...

this quilt is amazing! I LOVE IT!!!!!
thanks for putting another quilt to make on my list!
thanks for sharing your quilt with us.
Kathie

Taryn said...

The quilt looks great and I cannot believe you used scissors! It reminds me what a goodsend the rotary cutter is. Like Betty Lou, my first quilt was the torn strips from the Quilt in a Day method. I think there were rotary cutters around or immediately after I made that first quilt. I remember thinking, as I struggled to free myself from the thousands of strings, "this is ridiculous." Then I got the rotary cutter and make nice neat strips.

Maureen said...

Sherrill,

That is just a beautiful quilt and I would love to see that show . . . maybe it could travel???? Unfortunately, I don't have any red/white quilts to post but I'm getting inspired by all of these.

Thanks for sharing! Maureen

Michele said...

Gorgeous! You must be amazing with a rotary cutter!

YankeeQuilter said...

That may be the prettiest first quilt I've seen! Thanks for sharing...

AnnieO said...

This is a truly gorgeous quilt! What a labor of love. Glad its stayed with you :)

KarenQuilt said...

What fun to see everyone's Red and White quilts! I'm so glad Taryn dreamed up the gallery idea! And I am really enjoying visiting everyone's blogs! Another ingenious idea -- to go blog hopping via and Red and White quilts! Stop by and say hi when you get a chance! karenquilt.blogspot.com