Tuesday, January 1, 2013

new year, new stuff

The past year has been absolutely the worst year of my life and I've seriously wondered what could possibly be left for me to do here.  My kids are grown and have their own lives going on (which leaves little time for me and that's understandable--I was there once) and I never hear from my one & only granddaughter (she IS 16 now!!).  I did Thanksgiving but then bowed out after that.  Went to church the Sunday after Thanksgiving and haven't been back.  I just had no desire to have anything whatsoever to do with Christmas, the joyfulness, the celebrating, gift-giving, the thankfulness.  It just wasn't there.  And now I'm faced with a new year.  Last year at this time, my dear hubby was still with me and, at that time, we thought he was doing well.  We were looking forward to a cruise that was just a month away.  I still have to face a few more holidays, dates, etc. that was our last together.  But thank God Christmas is behind me.

I've been doing some sewing and crocheting just because there's been a LOT of alone time (by my
choice) and got my friend, JoAnne, involved in making a few quilts for a teen mom cottage at a
nearby shelter/orphanage for kids in need.  The organization is opening a cottage that will house four teen moms and their babies so the need is for 4 adult and 4 baby quilts.  JoAnne got started well after me but has posted on her blog that she already has one adult quilt top finished and she's now working
on the baby quilt!  Just so no one thinks I've been a slacker, I thought I better post what I've gotten done thru the month of December.

 This is one of my adult quilts but I think I'm going to have to add another row of zig zag (maybe a 1/2 row on either end since I think it would look unbalanced the way I've got the color placement).  I'm thinking the baby quilt will just be stripes in the same colors.  The other is a big bowtie, same bright colors. 




 I've also been working on Bonnie's mystery and am pretty much up to speed but now just need to work on the final assembly. That'll wait for a bit since I'm working on Judy's New Year's Day Sit & Sew QOV.








I had gone up to my church a few weeks ago and raided our quilt closet looking for bright colors for the quilts. There wasn't much of what I was looking for but did come across some Home of the Brave blocks needing assembly and that led to putting two tops together. You've seen many of these before on my blog so decided not to take them off the hangar.






AND I've been doing some crocheting.  Three baby hats, 2 small hats and a scarf.  So my solitary time has not been unproductive.









Oh gosh, I almost forgot the baby rag quilt I finished!!  I have two more cut out and two more sets waiting to be cut.  I had also intended to get a few pillowcases finished up before our next quilt group meets at church (the 9th, I believe...we'll see).

6 comments:

Monica said...

Hey you! I'm so glad to see you posting! It's good to hear you've been keeping busy. I wish I could say the same. I spent most of December doing as little as possible.

I hope 2013 brings you much peace and healing. *hugs*

Betty Lou said...

So glad that you posted Sherrill, and it is wonderful that you have been keeping your hands busy. No one knows the pain that you are going through unless they have gone through the same but I feel your grief in every word. Please know that during this time your blogger friends are just a click away. Hugs.

JoAnne said...

You certainly aren't a slacker! WOW, you've finished a lot this month. Glad to see you're staying busy and hoping it will help you find peace and healing.

Debi said...

Love the zigzag quilt. If you ever want to get together with about 10 of us to sew/talk/laugh at Quilt Among Friends in Arlington, just let me know. We are planning another sit n sew in February.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Sherrill my heart hurts for you. I cannot imagine the loneliness and the pervading sense of "what's next?", but I know it must be so very hard. I could give you all the platitudes you've already heard...it will get better, etc., but there's no way to believe that when you are where you are. But I can say this for what it's worth, I care about you and what's going on. I'm not saying that lightly, truly I'm not. I can't fix it, I can't be your BFF where you live, I can't shake some sense into your family, I can't take away your sadness. But I care what's happening to and with you and think of you often. I know we only have a blog connection but that's enough for me to feel a, well, connection. Please know that I have lifted you up in prayer today and asked for peace. blessings, marlene

AnnieO said...

Glad that your hands have been busy even while your heart is still hurting so badly. You are making beautiful things there!