Sunday, June 2, 2013

Twisters!!

I continue to pass the days doing a lot of stuff but nothing quilty.  :-((   Friday my brother, sister-in-law and I headed up to Oklahoma City for a family reunion yesterday.  YIKES!  We got more than we expected.  It was a beautiful day up until about 5pm as we were coming out of the bookstore at Oklahoma University (buying Boomer Sooner paraphernalia!! LOL).  I noticed a darkening sky and thought 'uh oh, we better get moving along'.  As we drove through Moore, the devastation was just unfathomable.
 
 

I've seen so much on the news but seeing it right there in front of me was just.....hard to describe.
As we neared our hotel, it was beginning to rain.  We made a run for cover and into the hotel.  There were SCORES of girls, softball players in town for the softball world series.  They were already beginning to let folks know where the evacuation locations were--WHAT?!  Not too long after, we ended up in one of the ballrooms after hearing the sirens blaring outside.  I wasn't terribly concerned but we waited and after some time decided to make our way to the lobby to watch the TV.   It was BAD!  My son and granddaughter were on the road somewhere between here and there.  Texts back and forth telling them to take cover somewhere and stay in a safe place.

Finally, evacuation was ended and we made it back to our room.  We were OK but many were not.  Three storm chasers with the Discovery Channel (I believe) lost their lives among 10 others.  There was a great deal of damage but not quite so much as in Moore.  The son and granddaughter made it in safely (albeit nearly midnight!!).  My cousin, who evaded any damage in the BIG tornado in Moore, received damage in this storm and was unable to make it to the reunion.  But physically she was OK.  Thank the Lord!

 

 


1 comment:

Kathie said...

glad your all safe
hopefully the rest of the season will be mlld, this has been awful to watch on tv I can't imagine seeing it in person.

Kathie