Saturday, October 12, 2013

Met family for dinner this evening in celebration of my DGD's 17th birthday.  Quite the bittersweet occasion since her birthday is the 11th and Frank's was the 12th.  I've had very little contact with my older son and DGD since Frank's passing.  Guess my importance level fell substantially after Frank's death and that has been very difficult for me to understand.  The rift in the relationship in addition to the loss of my spouse/friend/companion has made the past 14 mo. extremely depressing.  I hesitated about going and now afterwards am not sure I should have gone as it just reinforced to me how unimportant I am in their lives and how my son's girlfriend's parents have basically taken mine and Frank's place in their lives.  Makes me so very sad.

After dinner, a little excitement..this is Grapevine Mills Mall and we were supposed to have dinner over there but the line was too long and my son had not made reservations.  When I left the restaurant where we did wind up eating, I saw this and thought it was the first restaurant but it was actually apts. behind the mall.  Almost 2 hrs. later and the news says it's 5 alarm and still burning out of control.  Fortunately most of the bldgs. were still under construction and not occupied.  But these flames were absolutely massive.

Please pray for my family if you feel so inclined.  Thanks.

3 comments:

Betty Lou said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. We have been through similar times in our family but things do get better. Sometimes I think the most difficult job in the world is being a mother. Hugs

StitchinByTheLake said...

There are many of us out there who have an estrangement somehow become part of the family dynamics. They are heartbreaking and seem endless. As a mother I pray over one in my family every day. I hope I live long enough to see it become a joyous reconciliation. My heart hurts with yours. Blessings, marlene

sew.darn.quilt said...

I've experienced a rift with my Dad and brother that went on for 14 years. I understand the hurt. My Dad and I have managed to get to a better place now but that loss of all those years is heartbreaking.
My thoughts are with you.